creative roots

I've been wondering who I can thank/blame (lol) some of my traits on. Then I start wondering about the nature/nurture thing... when it comes to being creative, nature and nurture were both involved.

My paternal grandfather was an artist. His drawings, oil paintings, and watercolors were fantastic. I remember playing near his easel as a child. My maternal grandfather is very mechanical and has used that skill to build cabinets, lamps, and furniture. Definitely creative. As for my grandmothers, both of them have been
seamstresses.

My own mother has had one project or another going for as long as I can remember. Lately, they've been yarn/thread projects- knitting and crocheting. She taught me to crochet when I was nine. I took my first sewing class when I was 10. And, she bought the scrapbook stuff that would start it all...

Fast forward to college, where I was a Home Ec major so that I could get college credit for sewing. I taught several of my roommates to sew and crochet. We had scrapbook nights too. Now, I'm that girl who works on something creative every day, whether it be scrapping, beading, sewing, photography, or decorating my home. I rarely sit down and watch a movie without a project in my lap.

Creating makes me happy. I'm thankful for the traits evident in so many of my ancestors that have helped form my creative roots. I'm also thankful to those that have helped nurture my obsessions , er hobbies. I have them to thank for my happiness.

No comments: